Congratulations on completing your next rating! Now for the fun part of paperwork! So here are the details on how this part works. You may still have a few hours to finish up, but to keep moving onward and upward you can get started on some paperwork!

Unlike the PPL there is only the one application form to complete as you should already have an aviation document booklet. If you do not or need to renew yours (yes, they are only good for 10 years) then you can also complete that paperwork at the site below.

For a rating you will need to click on “endorsement of Ratings” and then “application for flight crew permit or rating.” On this form, complete your personal information and print this form off or email it to your Authorized person. You can complete the hours section but its often recommended to do in pencil in case we find some math errors when going through the hours. Also note that the File Number and License number are the same – your 6 digit license number.

Your authorized person (often the CFI) will then also need your logbook so they can compare it to your PTR (if required) and ensure all hours are correct as well that you meet all requirements. Once they have confirmed all the hours and ensure neither has any mistakes in the times etc. the authorized person may certify your logbook if you have flown at their school. The Authorized person will need your Licence document booklet as once everything is done, they will sign off your licence and it will act as your temporary license until your new sticker comes in the mail. This is only valid for 90 days from being signed so it’s recommended that in about 2 months if your license is not in, you should call TC and see where they are in the process. Once the sticker arrives place it OVER TOP of the authorized persons signature as the sticker replaces their writing.

Next is payment. You will need to pay $30 to the Receiver General of Canada. EFC recommends paying online on the same site as above (link below as well) or a check because then you can see when it has been cashed and know that all your documents have been received and processing on TC’s end has started. Ensure if you pay online that you write in the receipt number on your application form. The last payment is to the authorized person and it’s $30 for processing our license, cash is preferred but you can also pay through the club but then it is $10 more. (this number is subject to change and may vary between authorized persons)

If you are an EFC member then you may need to review the Renters Handout as you will now be as a renter. As a member you have probably gathered some of this but know that your C172 COT’s are valid from your flight test for 1 year. If you do another rating etc it resets. When you’re due for a COT, you can book this with any instructor and be sure to do the open book exam in advance- it’s on the website!

Feel free to contact your authorized person (EFC’s CFI) with questions.



  • Proof of Age — 18 years
  • Medical Fitness — Current CAT 3 or 1 medical
  • Completed application form for PPL, including all signatures (hours may be done in pencil just in case we find an error)
  • PTR — thoroughly filled in and completed by instructor and student – If required
  • Pilot’s logbook (digital copy printed and paper if needed to be certified correct by EFC)
  • $80 fee to Transport Canada by cheque to Receiver General of Canada or online

Experience to confirm

(Between logbook and PTR– Note that hours should match)

  • PPL License
  • 10 hours instrument (5 after completion of PPL)
  • 5 dual night with a certified flight instructor
  • 2 dual night cross country (of the 5 dual)
  • 5 solo night (including 10 takeoffs and landings)


PTR / Logbook completed:

  • Times Correct and totalled – (may be in pencil in case errors are found)
  • Cross country routes filled in (each leg individual indicated to prove actual cross country)
  • Logbook and PTR match