VFR OVER-THE-TOP RATING (OTT)
The VFR Over the Top Rating is an additional rating that can be added on to the Private Pilot License. Note that if you do the Commercial License this rating is included in that license. The VFR OTT Rating is typically for those who own their own aircraft and are looking for options but are either not ready to complete their Instrument ratings or are potentially flying a non IFR capable aircraft. It carries with it some the following requirements
- AGE: 17 years old (old enough to already hold a PPL)
- MEDICAL: Minimum Category 3 Medical Certificate as determined by TransportCanada
- LICENCE: Private Pilot Licence – Aeroplane
- GROUNDSCHOOL REQUIREMENTS: An applicant for a VFR Over-The-Top (OTT) rating shall acquire a standard of knowledge in accordance with the Flight Instructor Guide – VFR OTT (TP 12775).
- FLIGHT EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: An applicant for a VFR OTT rating shall complete a minimum of: 15 Hours Dual Instrument Time, of which a maximum of 5 hours may be instrument ground time training shall be in accordance with the Flight Instructor Guide – VFR O TT Rating (TP 12775)
- KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS: An applicant for a VFR OTT rating shall have reached the level of skill specified in the FlightInstructor Guide – VFR OTT (TP 12775).
Training is at the student’s pace and convenience. We recommend training a minimum of twice per week to stay somewhat consistent. Remember that flights may get cancelled due to weather. The course may be completed in 1-3 weeks depending on availability and weather.
RECCOMMENDED COURSE MATERIALS
RECOMMENDED FOR VFR OVER-THE-TOP RATING COURSE:
- Human Factors For Aviation, Basic Handbook – Transport Canada (TP 12863E)
- Aeronautical Information Manual – Transport Canada (TP 14371E)
- Canada Flight Supplement – Nav Canada (CFS)
- Edmonton VFR Navigation Chart – Nav Canada (AIR 5015)
- Edmonton VFR Terminal Area – Nav Canada (AIR 1904)
- Enroute Low Altitude LO 1 & 2 – Nav Canada (LO12)
While not required, or even necessarily recommended, the items listed below are available from the Edmonton Flying Club’s Pilot Shop, and can serve to provide additional insight into the topics discussed in ground briefings or utility in the aircraft during practical flight training.
- ASA Tri-Fold Kneeboard KB-3 or KB-3L – Aviation Supplies & Academics Ltd.
- ASA Metal E6-B Flight Computer – Aviation Supplies & Academics Ltd.
- ASA CX-2 Electronic Flight Computer – Aviation Supplies & Academics Ltd.
- DC H10-13.4 Aviation Headset – David Clark Company Inc.
VFR-OTTTotal MINIMUM Cost
VFR Over-the-Top Rating
Hours | Component | Rate | Cost
10 | Dual Instrument | 265.00 | 2650.00
5 | MFD Simulator | 160.00 | 800.00
3 | Ground Brief | 80.00 | 240.00
Transport Canada Licensing Fee: $30.00
Processing Fee: 30.00
Total MINIMUM Cost: $3,820.00