Recreational Pilot


The Recreational Pilot Permit is an economical way to fly, but it carries with it some very important restrictions that do not affect holders of the Private Pilot Licence:

  • Flights carried out by the holder of a recreational permit are restricted to Day VFR (Visual FLight rules) conditions only without the option of endorsing the permit with a Night Rating.
  • Types of aircraft flown by the holder are restricted to non-high performance, Single-Engine aircraft (either land or seaplane), with a maximum of 4 seats.
  • A maximum of only 1 passenger can be carried when the pilot-in-command is the holder of a Recreational Pilot Permit.
  • As the Recreational Pilot certificate is a permit, and not a licence, it is not recognized internationally; therefore, only domestic flights within Canada are approved (no cross-border flights into the US are allowed).
  • Many schools / clubs may also add restrictions reducing the allowance of cross country flights by recreational pilots as they have reduced training in navigation and instrument flying.
  • If you are considering a flying career, this is a step you do not need to complete and are typically best of starting with a Private Pilot License. If you are just wanting to fly locally and for fun without wanting any other ratings such as a night rating, and are ok only ever being allowed one passenger, then this may be a great option for you.


16th Birthday (flight test can be on that day) One can start younger as the Student pilot permit (which allows you to go solo with supervision can be issued at 14.) We do not recommend starting any younger than 15.
Canadian Category 4 medical. Obtained from an Aviation medical examiner. If you are planning to move forward to the Commercial we recommend the Category 1 which after a year defaults to the Cat 3.
There are no special educational requirements other than a working knowledge of English and a desire to learn.


A minimum of 25 hours total flight time which works out to about 15 hours dual and 5 hours Pilot in Command time (solo).

The average hours for the RPL are between 45-65 total. Extra time occurs as each student learns at a different rate and has a different schedule.

The Recreational Pilot Permit there is currently no ground school requirement for issuance of a Recreational Pilot Permit; however, successful completion of the Transport Canada written test is still a requirement. For this reason, enrollment at an accredited Private Pilot Ground School program is recommended. With that the course consists of not only flight training but approximately 50 hours of ground school – PPL) and one on one pre flight training before each flight.

  • 25 hours total Minimum
  • 15 hours of dual instruction minimum
  • A Radio License exam and license
  • Completion of the PSTAR exam
  • A pre-solo check with a sr. instructor
  • 5 hours of solo time minimum
  • Recommended – A minimum of 40 hours ground school. Including instruction on Air Law, Meteorology, Navigation, and General Knowledge.
  • A pre-flight test
  • A Transport Canada Written and Flight test is required


Training is at the student’s pace and convenience. We recommend training a minimum of twice per week to stay somewhat consistent. Remember that flights may get cancelled due to weather. The course may be completed in 1-3 weeks depending on availability and weather.

Photo Gallery


Recreational Pilot

Total MINIMUM Cost
$ 8,455

Recreational Pilot Permit

Club Membership: 100.00
Ground School (80 hours): 450.00
Books and Supplies: 375.00

Hours | Component | Rate | Cost
18 | Dual Flight | 280.00 | 5040.00
7 | Solo Flight | 205.00 | 1435.00
5 | Ground Brief | 80.00 | 400.00

Transport Canada Written Fee: 150.00
Flight Test Fee: 450.00
Transport Canada Licensing Fee: 55.00

Total MINIMUM Cost: $8,455.00