Commercial Pilot Licence requirements and Application checklist

Congratulations on passing both the TC written and Flight tests! Now for the fun part of paperwork! So here are the details on how this part works. You may still have a few hours to finish up, but to keep moving onward and upward you can get started on some paperwork!

Unlike the PPL there is only the one application for to complete as you should already have an aviation document booklet. If you do not or need to renew yours (yes they are only good for 10 years) then you can also complete that paper work at the site below.

The first one is under License Applications and is the “Application for Commercial pilot Aeroplane”: Complete your personal information and print this form off or email it to your Authorized person. You can complete the hours section but its often recommended to do in pencil in case we find some math errors when going through the hours.

Your authorized person (often the CFI) will then also need your logbook so they can compare it to your commercial PTR and ensure all hours are correct as well that you meet all requirements. Note that we recommend having an electronic logbook as well so that you can print it off and send it in to TC. Note that you can also email a digital copy to your Authorized person for submitting the application too! Once the authorized person has confirmed all the hours and ensure neither document has any mistakes in the times etc. the authorized person will certify your logbook if you have flown at their school. The Authorized person will need your License Document booklet as once everything is done, they will sign off your booklet and it will act as your temporary Commercial license until your new commercial pilot sticker comes in the mail. This is only valid for 90 days from being signed so it’s recommended that in about 2 months if your license is not in, you should call TC and see where they are in the process. Once the sticker arrives place it OVER TOP of the authorized persons signature as the sticker replaces their writing.

Next is payment. You will need to pay $80 to the Receiver General of Canada. EFC recommends paying online on the same site as above (link below as well) or a check because then you can see when it has been cashed and know that all your documents have been received and processing on TC’s end has started. Ensure if you pay online that you write in the receipt number on your application form. The last payment is to the authorized person and it’s $70 for processing our license, cash is preferred but you can also pay through the club but then it is $10 more. (this number is subject to change and may vary between authorized persons

If you are an EFC member then you will need to check out the Renters Handout as you will now be transitioning into your next ratings but also as a renter. As a member you’ve probably gathered some of this but know that your C172 COT’s are valid from your flight test for 1 year. If you do another rating etc it resets. When you’re due for a COT, you can book this with any instructor and be sure to do the open book exam in advance- it’s on the website!

Feel free to contact your authorized person (EFC’s CFI) with questions.



  • Proof of Age — 18 years
  • Medical Fitness — Current CAT 1 medical
  • Bring (or email) written exam results and record of CPL ground school
    Proof that English language test complete (if required)
  • Completed application form for CPL, including all signatures (hours may be done in pencil just in case we find an error)
  • PTR — thoroughly filled in and completed by instructor and student – Check signatures on Page 1, 7, 11 – last page with flights.
  • Pilot’s logbook (digital copy printed and paper if needed to be certified correct by EFC)
    $80 fee to Transport Canada by cheque to Receiver General of Canada or online